U.S. warns North Korea of ‘overwhelming’ response if nuclear arms used

US Secretary of Defense James Mattis during a visit to South Korea, said that in the case of North Korea’s nuclear weapons the US response would be effective and devastating, reported Reuters news agency.

“Any attack on the United States or our allies will be reflected, and any use of nuclear weapons will not go unanswered,” – said Mattis.

On Thursday, the new Pentagon chief met with the Prime Minister of South Korea Hwang Gye Ahn, who is acting head of state, as well as presidential secretary for security, Kim Kwang-jin.

Mattis reassured Seoul that the US president Donald Trump will approach the North Korean nuclear threat as the main problem in the area of security.

In January 2016, North Korea conducted a nuclear weapons test the fourth, and in February launched a missile, which is capable of, by some estimates, to hit targets at a distance of up to 12 thousand kilometers.

In response, the UN Security Council and a number of individual countries to impose sanctions designed to force Pyongyang to abandon the development of weapons. Despite this, the North Korea did not intend to curtail nuclear program and already in September last year, held the most powerful test in its history.

Original: https://ria.ru/world/20170203/1487090139.html

Share this:

Rate post:

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

Comments:

Be the First to Comment!

Sing in: 
Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz